Monday, October 15, 2007

Pitstop in Madrid, Day 13

The bus ride to Madrid might have been the worst one yet. The bus driver had the heaviest lead foot I've ever known. And that was a bit scary driving through the mountains that separate the north of Spain from Madrid and the center. Needless to say, I didn't sleep much, and again, the guy next to me didn't understand the idea of "personal space".
So, after the bus ride with very little sleep, I arrived in Madrid. I took the metro to the station Chamartin to drop off my backpack for the day and to buy my train ticket to Jaen, and had an awesome, totally Spanish breakfast while there of chocolate con churros and cafe con leche. After, I topped it off with a glass of fresh-squeezed orange juice. I then headed to the Prado. Halfway there, I finally found the section on the Prado, and the part that said it was closed on Mondays...Like the rest of the museums.. :(
So I ended up watching the sunrise and people watching for a while in Retiro park. I love that park. Somehow, everytime I make it to Madrid, I end up spending some time there!
The time finally came to get back to the station to catch my train south to visit Jenna.. The train ride was eventless. No one sat next to me so I was able to sleep and relax. The landscape was shocking, as it always is. Barren and deserted in many places.
I finally arrived in Jaen, where Jenna met me at the train station. We headed to her apartment to drop off my bags, then it was out to Tapas bar hopping. She took me to a few of her favorites, which I thoroughly enjoyed. One of the really great things about tapas in Jaen is that they are free if you order a drink. So Jenna and I would order two Canas, or small beers for about a euro each, and enjoy finger food to last through the drink. It's a great idea!
We finally arrived at the Feria, or the fair that they hold in her city once a year. It's basically Oktoberfest, but in Spain! :) We drank away, met up with some of Jenna's roommate's friends, and just had an overall good time. Finally, around 2am, we headed back, stopping at a churros and chocolate stand on the way back.. It was great!

No comments: