Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Memmengen, Day 1

The flight over the Atlantic wasn’t too bad. Seeing as the night before I had only gotten 2 hours of sleep, I was really looking forward to sleeping the whole night. As soon as I got on the plane, I found my seat next to a gentlemen from Nairobi. As soon as I sat down, he saw my cell phone and asked if he could make a quick call to his son. At this point we had about 20 minutes before we were leaving, so I thought, what could be the harm… Well, 15 minutes later when he was still on the phone and I still had 2 or 3 calls to make, I was getting a bit annoyed! I kept trying to get his attention, but he was paying any attention to me. Finally he gave it back to me, and I immediately called Kate. The phone call only lasted about a minute before I had to hang up, so I was angry from the start.

Then, later when meal service came around, he did not understand the idea of sharing elbow space, so I was forced to eat crooked!

THEN, when I finally fell asleep (keep in mind how crucial sleep on this flight is, as the 6 hour flight is the transition from 9pm Tuesday to 9am Wednesday) he continually had to get up and get out to “walk around”. On top of that, the women sitting behind me was continually kicking my seat, and twice, pushed my seat forward in an attempt to “un-recline” it!


Besides that, everything was fine. Heathrow was interesting, and my second flight from Heathrow to Munich was fun because there was an Australian girl sitting next to me who was also going for Oktoberfest.

I finally arrived in Munich at 3:30pm local time, 19 hours after I had left my house the day before! I met up with Leanne and Supy and we got our rental car. Luckily Budget upgraded our car from our original 2-door to a nice 4-door! We would've never fit!!! We drove out of Munich airport, and I tried to copilot our way to Markus’ house. It was much more difficult that I thought it would have been, mainly because we didn’t really understand the German highway infrastructure and couldn’t read German!

About two hours later, we arrived in Memmengen and met up with Markus. He brought us to his house, and we met his mother and set up camp in his basement. We went to sleep pretty early that night as we were all exhausted.

No comments: