Friday, October 19, 2007

Hello Athens, Day 17

I was able to sleep about 2 hours during the flight to Athens (it was only 3 hours long) which would serve as my night's sleep.. :( When I arrived in Athens and finished getting my bag, it was about 4am and I had 5 hours before Dr. Hoch would arrive on her flight. I was starving, so I found a food place that was open and sold the most amazing tasting sandwiches! They were called Capri sandwiches and consisted of ham, cheese, basil and tomato on thin panini bread... SO GOOD! I ended up having a second one I liked it so much! The rest of the time I spent writing some of my blog entries and organizing my photos I'd taken thus far on the trip.
Finally around 9:20, Dr. Hoch walked through the arrivals gate! Now it will be important to note that from this point on, the trip has been organized by a small little Greek travel agency.. Boy were we in for a treat!
We looked around and found our chauffer (yes, we had a chauffer waiting for us!) who drove us the approximate hour ride into the heart of Athens to our beautiful "Central Hotel". We weren't aware of it when we first arrived, but our hotel had an AWESOME rooftop view of the Acropolis!
First thing we did though was take a nap... a 5 hour nap! I was recovering from an approximate 18 hour trip from southern Spain to Athens, while Dr. Hoch was recovering from her 24 hour trip across the Atlantic!
After our nap, we walked around the small city streets for a while, mainly stealing awesome views of the Acropolis high above us, and looking for a place to grab dinner. Dr. Hoch finally found a small tourist trap that intrigued her by their "comfy" chairs. Needless to say, in my opinion, the food was not so good.. But she was persistant about the chairs! So we ate a dinner consisting of greek salad and some sort of grinder. Afterwards, we meandered around the streets a bit longer, then headed back to the hotel for an early to bed.

No comments: