Wednesday, September 20, 2006

OKTOBERFEST!!!

Munich, or München as they call it here, has been amazing so far!

Last night, we headed out to the party, which I understood to be a big tent, but come to find out, is more like a HUGE carnival, with about 15 beer tents that are about the size of a football field!

We found one we thought looked fun (no scientific method for determining level of fun, other than finding a lot of drunk people our age outside the tent) and went in. Inside was a completely different world.

Imagine a room, full of long tables, row after row, with thousands of Germans standing on their benches, holding 1-liter glasses (or steins as they call them here) rocking back and forth, cheersing eachother, while singing along to German drinking songs. That was what our eyes met as we walked through the doors. I was soooooooo excited!

We walked around for a little while unsure of how to get beer. Women were walking around carrying sometimes as many as 10 liter-glasses around but they were all being taken somewhere. It took us one whole walk around the inside before we got the courage to ask someone how we get beer. She told us we had to be at a table to beer served, so she brought us to the closest table, and told us to just stand at the end, and that she'd be right back with two beers..

By the time she came back (about 2 minutes), the people at the table had told us to get up on the benches along with them and start singing and dancing. Then, when our beer finally came, we were in heaven.. Having a blast, drinking, singing, and dancing..

We went table to table for a while, found some cool Australian friends, some kids from California, and some from right here in Munich. I was drunk after my second beer. Keep in mind though that each beer is 1 liter is just over 2 pints, and that german beer is stronger than american beer!

When we left the beer hall, I took a glass with me (on right..), and somehow got it past the security guards that were frisking people. They took Jenna's from her. Oops. I was hungry, so we headed over to a food stand and I ordered a half chicken. It was so good. At one point, some girl came over and just started talking to me in German and taking some of my chicken! I didn't know what was going on, but I just kept on smiling..

We met up with some kids while I was eating my chicken from New Zealand. They were a lot of fun, but sadly were leaving the next day.. Oh well! I think I'm going to go back to sleep now.

No comments: